Have you ever thrown together a meal with a little bit of this from the back of the pantry and a little bit of that leftover in the fridge from the night before? And wouldn’t ya know, it turns out super great (yay!), but you didn’t write down the recipe because you were just winging it (boo!)? So, you spend the next year or so trying to recreate it and get it just right? Anyone?! Well, that’s pretty much the story with this Chickpea Salad Sandwich. I know it started with a rogue can of chickpeas, and then there was some cucumber dill yogurt sauce leftover from my Baked Falafels that went into the mix. I think there were a few dill pickle spears I threw in, and maybe some scallions…? Well, it’s taken a full year to get back around to this makeshift recipe (hello, life with a new baby), but I think I finally nailed it.
Chickpeas are a plant-based powerhouse of nutrients. Along with the protein and fiber they notoriously provide, they’re also a great source of minerals like folate and iron– both critical components for optimal prenatal nutrition and a breastfeeding diet that nourishes both mama and baby.
These Chickpea Salad Sandwiches are perfectly packable for a summertime picnic. Stuff the chickpea salad into a pita pocket with crisp romaine lettuce leaves and a few slices of ripe, juicy tomato. You can also scoop it onto your favorite crackers for a party app, spoon it into lettuce cups for a lower calorie afternoon snack option, or forego any sort of presentation and just shovel it with a fork straight from the bowl to your mouth. I’ve eaten it every which way, and pass no judgement. 😉
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 1 whole dill pickle, minced
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 2 Tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- pinch of salt
- cracked black pepper to taste
- 4 Tablespoons Cucumber Yogurt Sauce
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 3 Tablespoons Greek yogurt (or plain non-dairy yogurt of your choice)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, mash the chickpeas with a fork.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients.
- Next, make the Cucumber Yogurt Sauce. Pulse the garlic clove in a food processor until minced. Add the remaining ingredients and process until smooth.
- Stir the Cucumber Yogurt Sauce into the chickpea salad mixture.
- Serve the Chickpea Salad in a pita pocket with a few crisp romaine lettuce leaves and sliced tomato, or on your favorite crackers, or eat it straight out of the bowl.